I needed a break from painting Napoleonics for a bit, so I busted out a pair of Xyston DBA armies that two friends were nice enough to give me. One Thessalian and one Spartan. I set out to get one of them finished, the Thessalians. I did not paint all of the options that the list offers. Instead I hope to paint a few more armies from this period. This way I can obtain ALL of the options by mixing and matching. Anyway here are the Thessalians:
I was able to get together twice with a good buddy of mine and played two games of DBA. First was against Spartans and it was a 4-0 blowout. I guess these Spartans forgot to watch 300 before wandering into battle. The second game was against an imperial Macedonian list. A 1-4 defeat insued. Those number do not tell the whole story though as a Psiloi element was one pip away from destroying an elephant!
After these games I figured that I had better get off my butt and do up a second army to use as an opponent. I need to have two armies if I am ever going to demo DBA for some of my fantsy inclined buddies. Here are the dreaded enemies of Thessalia……the Spartans:
9 Spears (general in the middle) and 1 Auxillia
Psilio and Cavalry
Finally I figured I had better get a few shots of my other completed minis in September. Here are a pair of Man-o-War Demo Corps super high SPEED painted for use in Warmachine MKII.